4/25/2012

Day Eighty Six


Funeral
Yesi and her boyfriend (right), mom, sister and her boyfriend (left)
I have only nine days left here at my mission site, I still find it hard to believe that my time here is almost to an end. I'm definitely trying to do as much as I can in the little time that's left. This past weekend I visited, one of my favorite internas, Yesikarina's house about two hours away in San Perdro, Copan. One of her cousins was getting married Saturday so they gave her special permission to go home. The trip started well, we had gone out shopping to find her  an outfit and stuff when all of a sudden I see her crying. Her boyfriend, who she's practically engaged to, called to let her know that his brother had just minutes past shot and killed himself in front of their house. She was devastated. We headed towards his house, and it was amazing to see just how many people from the community were there to support the family during their loss. I asked Yesi's mom if that was accustomed, and she told me that's just what people do here, they're always there for one another helping out in any way possible whether it be financially and/or emotionally. The following day we went to his funeral, again many people showed up in support. While we waited neighbors opened their home to us, offered us coffee, food, a seat inside out of the sun, I was really in awe to see just how hospitable everyone was towards us. Through all of this Yesi's boyfriend seemed surprisingly relaxed. We weren't sure if he was even up to join us for the wedding that night, the poor thing hadn't slept one wink, but he wanted to be with Yesi as much as he could, so he did. The wedding reception was held at two houses one was were the food was served and the other was were the dancing and partying went on. Oh I also got to meet Yesi's grandmother, the sweetest little lady you could imagine, in the cutest little home. Anyway because of the loss Yesi asked special permission to stay one more day and miss the kermese, an outdoor type festival were food, music and games are held in order to raise money for the school (kind of a big deal here.) I was sort of bummed about missing it but didn't want to be a burden in them having to find me a ride back so I agreed to stay. Well somehow there was a miscommunication in them giving both of us permission to stay and the sisters ended up worried about us. So last minute at like 9 o'clock in the morning we rode back to school to try and catch my modeling/pageant thing that started at 10! I ended missing out on about half of it but still participated and had a blast doing it. The girls really get into it! The rest of the kermese I spent in the bank selling tickets so I really didn't get to see much of the festivities. A lot of people showed up though and from what I hear it was a success compared to years passed. Oh and apparently Nicole got hitched and kissed in the morning while I was gone!! Totally upset at the fact that I missed it! But yesterday was her birthday and the girls and the sisters blasted the mananitas song all morning long, made her birthday cards and decorated the kitchen really nice. We celebrated by baking a jello cake, it was delicious! Since tomorrow is my birthday we're going to see if we can go out and treat ourselves to a nice dinner. Well that's all for now, I'll try and post again pretty soon, so stay tuned folks ;)
Wedding
Pageant
Me and Yesse at the kermese





No comments:

Post a Comment